Imagine you're dining out while on vacation or a business trip. You go to pay the bill, and your card is declined. Even among the calmest of us, this scenario can certainly throw stress levels sky high.
This is what happens: Fraud monitoring services flag transactions which appear out of a cardholder's ordinary habits (i.e. new geographical location, sudden change in spending patterns, etc.). As a precautionary measure, card transactions can then be denied to prevent potential fraud.
To reduce the likelihood of this happening to you when you travel, we recommend you notify us with a travel plan at least 48 hours before your trip. After submitting your travel plan, we will attach a travel note to your debit card in our system. Your card will continue to be monitored by our fraud monitoring service, and you may receive a phone call while you are traveling to determine the validity of purchases. For your security, please ensure your contact information is up to date prior to your travel.
How to Send Your Travel Plan
You can send us your travel plan via secure message in online or mobile banking (see below), or call us at (915) 532-1000, Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM (MT).
- Once you've logged in, select "Messages" from the menu on the left. Then, click or tap the "New Message" button.
- Next, select "Debit Card Activity Alert" from the recipient dropdown menu.
- Enter your travel plan, which should include:
- Specific city, country, and date for each place you'll visit.
- Contact phone number where you can be reached.
Once complete, send your message. That's it – you're done!