Every three seconds, an incident of identity fraud occurs.
Protect yourself from unauthorized debit card purchases with smsGuardian™ text alerts.
At WestStar Bank, we are always looking for the best possible ways to protect our customers and their money. SmsGuardian™ debit card text alerts is a service that uses text messages to enable you to monitor debit card activity occurring on your account and to respond immediately to fraudulent activity. This program offers yet another layer of security to help protect your accounts.
How do smsGuardian™ debit card text alerts work?
Once enrolled, when purchases that meet the established criteria are made with your WestStar Bank debit card, a text will be sent to your device for you to review. The text will include the last four digits of your card number, the name of the merchant and the purchase amount.
If the purchase is legitimate, you don’t need to do anything. If you don’t reply to the text message within 12 hours, the transaction is considered legitimate and no further action will occur.
If you think that the purchase transaction is fraudulent, reply immediately to the text. Your card will be blocked from further criminal activity and we will order a new WestStar Bank debit card and have it sent to you as quickly as possible. This added layer of security enables fraudulent activity to be identified and stopped immediately, which significantly reduces the likelihood that subsequent unauthorized transactions will occur.
What alerts are available?
The bank determines what types of transactions generate a text message and may be based on a single or any combination of the following transactions:
- International Transactions
- Authorizations Greater than $300.00
- 8 or more Transactions in 24 hours
- Card Not Present Transactions
- Usage Outside of Cardholder's State of Residence
- There is a three year enrollment period. You will be notified prior to the expiration of your account and may text a reply to renew.
- Changing your mobile service provider may require you to re-enroll your mobile device.
- Some mobile service providers require a 30-day subscription reminder message be sent to customers participating in the smsGuardian program. If your mobile service provider is Boost, Nextel, Sprint, or Virgin, you will receive the following message: Reminder: You have subscribed to Guardian transaction alerts for WestStar Bank. Message and data rates may apply. Reply HELP for help. Reply STOP to cancel.
- Should you need help regarding the use of this service, you may reply to an alert message with the word HELP or call (915)532-1000 or 1-800-366-4578.
- You may discontinue the receipt of alerts immediately by texting the word STOP in reply to a Guardian alert. You may unsubscribe from this service entirely on the website, or by texting the word STOP to 27576.
smsGuardianTM is a third-party service, not affiliated with WestStar Bank.
Message and data charges may apply. Additional terms and conditions apply.