Not a day goes by that someone doesn't fall victim to a scam, including during the holidays, and WestStar wants to help you avoid them. There are different ways scammers try to take your hard-earned money, including email, phone, text, and many more. We want to change that.
Do not be the next victim! Learn how to spot email, phone, and other scams:
- Avoid clicking on suspicious links: Do not click without hovering over the link to reveal where it leads. When in doubt, call us at 915.532.1000.
- Do not give in to scare tactics: Never reply with personal information like your password, PIN, or social security number.
- Watch for typos and suspicious attachments: Misspellings, poor grammar, and unexpected attachments are warning signs of a phishing scam.
- Be skeptical of every email: Fraudulent emails can appear convincing by using official logos and similar URLs. Treat every email with caution.
Phone Call Scams
- Caller ID can be deceiving: Even if your phone shows it is WestStar calling, it could be a scam. Scammers can make any name or number appear on your caller ID.
- Never share personal information: We may need to verify personal details if you call us, but if a bank calls asking questions it is a scammer.
- Ignore urgent requests: Words like “act now” or “urgent” are red flags — regardless, do not give in to the pressure.
- Hang up, look up, call back: End unexpected, suspicious calls and dial the number on the back of your WestStar card.
Mobile Payment / Text Message Scams
- Only send money to friends and family: Never send money to people you do not know or trust. Once you send money through payment apps, you can not cancel a payment.
- Do not click on suspicious text message links: Never click on a text message link if it asks you to sign into your bank account. Scammers are trying to steal your username and password.
- Delete any text message that you suspect is a scam: Do not risk accidentally replying to or saving a fraudulent text message on your phone.
- Avoid uncommon payment methods: We will never ask you to send money to yourself or pay bills using a payment app. When in doubt, call the number on the back of WestStar your card.